Large Scale Central

On3 Questions to get started

To all:

I’m new to On3 - not to large scale outdoors.
To minimize my making mistakes in starting in On3, please offer your observations:

1 - Is the standard HO flex track - Atlas, etc. designed for HO use, - the choice to use? Am I accurate that the true scale track is HO in width but for On3 there are different sized ties and spacing? I thought I saw an ad one time in Model Railroader for “true On3 track” but didn’t retrive it. If so, is the appearance dramatic enough to avoid using Atlas HO or another HO brand?

2 - Are the Bachmann locos in this scale, compared to their large scale’s offerings, glitch free? Granted, some simple problems, OK. However, for the cost, is it better in the long run to buy another brand? If so, whom? I believe Athern and Atlas do not make this scale. MTH? Broadway LTD?

Many thanks for your input. I built a Ruby kit and thanks to the help from LSC members I was able to “tune” it.

Wendell

Wendell, On3 ? do you mean On30? I think you do.

When I dabbled in On30 I planned to use Atlas code 100 track as the ties that came with thier code 100 track are mazingly huge for HO and looked close to in-scale for 1/48 scale. Peco sells flex and turnouts specificly for On30, so do a couple others.

Yes the Bachmann On30 models are 1/48 scale, their stuff in this scale is some of the best stuff in any scale period, forget all the glitches associated with G Bachmann. Almost all the conversion and kitbash kits out there are based on the Bmann lineup. Atlas and Athearn dont do anything, There are others like Broadway, but they tend to be fairly pricely compared to Bmann On30

On3 is the realm of custom brass handlaid track and lots and lots of money.

On3 is not the same thing as On30. They’re the same scale (1:48), but the track gauges are different. If you’re contemplating running on standard HO track, then you’re thinking of On30, not On3.

Whether HO track is the “right” track to use is a matter of personal choice. It’s certainly widely available and inexpensive, and a popular choice. The ties are too small and close together to be really convincing for narrow gauge, however, which is why there is also available the more expensive On30 track. It has larger ties and greater tie spacing.

I’m sure others will be able to comment on reliability issues. Good luck.

Steve

Wendell:

There is a big difference in the appearance of H0 and 0n30 track. Although the gauge is the same, the tie size and tie spacing are really different. To my eye, using H0 track seriously detracts from the narrow gauge look.

Here is a link to what many consider the best 0n30 off the shelf track available:

Micro Engineering Flex Track

Note that the ME 0n30 track is available in code 100, 83 & 70. The matching turnouts are only available in code 83 & 70. See:

Micro Engineering Turnouts

Happy RRing,

Jerry

My friend and owner of the local train shop models On3.
He has a huge layout in the shops basement.
He hand lays all his track and his rolling stock is re-gauged to
O scale --36" narrow gauge. (hence the On3)

On30 is O scale – 30" gauge.