Large Scale Central

A Simulated Caboose Gazeebo

Have always wanted a caboose for the backyard… A few years ago, prices were exceeding 10,000 for a caboose, and then there would be a 5-10,000 dollar charge, for loading it, hauling and setting it up… I came across a website that had a program setup to build one’s own caboose, from their basic plan… I decided that I would give this a try… The website was: http://www.dogpatchandwesternrr.com/index.php I had to put the project on hold for a couple of years, because of an illness, but have recently gained enough strength and energy back, to start working on it again… My idea of this caboose was to make it like a ““Caboose Gazeebo””… I want an enclosed are of a caboose, and open ends, to sit and enjoy the yard, garden railroad, and the pond (eventually to be dug)… So, my basic plan was to but a simulated ““tranfer”” caboose style caboose… The east end of the caboose will have an 8 foot covered Porch, to sit and enjoy the pond… Then there will be a 20 foot enclosed caboose, complete with a cupola and an actual caboose style interior, (Slightly modified), and the west end will have a 12 foot covered porch, to enjoy the view of the garden railroad… By complete caboose interior, I mean, having the capability of sitting up in the cupola… This caboose Gazeebo would also be the work area for the ““Dispatcher”” to operate out of during ““operations”” on the Bluestone Southern RR… My scenerio is that, the ““Caboose”” was lifted off it’s trucks, and the trucks were re-used on other railcars… The caboose was set on concrete blocks, to be used as an office area… first step in this process, was to pour a concrete pad, for the concrete blocks and the ““Caboose”” to be set on… Hopefully, in the future, this would help eliminate weeds, and critters from getting under the caboose…

Pad was poured in August 2010, and we let it cure out for a while, while I still worked on gaining strength, and getting more mobility back in my left arm… After the pad had cured, we got some cinder blocks, large ones, and some smaller ones, and placed the smaller ones on the large ones to rest the caboose frame on… On or about June 25th, 2011, we were able to start working on the basic frame of the caboose… In a weeks time, we had most of the basic frame installed…

It still needs some cross bracing down the middle, and the metal framing needs to be attached… Plans from here are to finish the basic frame, then get down the decking boards for the covered porches, and the wood for the subfloor of the enclosed part of the caboose… Will update, as we progress…

Neat project, Andy. I do remember the pad from last November.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/_forumfiles/IMG_8781.JPG)

Nice to see some progress. Will it be done for this November? Should we come early and help hammer? :wink:

lol, Bruce… I’ll let you know more, as the summer progresses… :slight_smile: I quit using nails, this thing is being screwed together… Maybe bring a battery operated drill, batteries and a charger… :slight_smile:

Neat idea Andy. I’ve often thought about modifying my back porch to look like a short rail car on blocks. Using screws for the framing is pretty ambitious. It will take a bit longer to build, but should stay together better.

Great idea, Andy.
Screws is the way to go. When we built the front porch, we used nails to expedite construction.
We used the nails with the “rings” and then went back and added a bunch of screws.
Every year I have to hammer the nails back down :open_mouth:
Ralph

Jon, i’m getting older… A lot easier for me to use my finger and hold a trigger on a drill, than to swing a hammer… Besides, I think the screws will hold better and tighter than nails… and a lot easier to remove, when you say ““Oh crap””, that ain’t right… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:
Jon, i'm getting older.... A lot easier for me to use my finger and hold a trigger on a drill, than to swing a hammer.... Besides, I think the screws will hold better and tighter than nails... and a lot easier to remove, when you say ""Oh crap"", that ain't right.... :)
Yup!...........;)

Izzit done yet?

I just hadta beat the Rooster.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m confused, as I am many times around Andy. Is it a simulated Caboose? Or is it a simulated Gazeebo? I thought he was putting a pad in for our camper, but he didn’t include electricity, water or a sewer hookup. Any place in the shade will be appreciated.

Well, It’s in the shade at night…

And, it’s a ““Caboeebo””… hehehe :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:
Well, It's in the shade at night.....

And, it’s a ““Caboeebo””… hehehe :slight_smile:

Is that pronounced with a Mexican accent?

Shouldn’t that be “Caboozeebo”? :wink:

Bruce Chandler said:
Shouldn't that be "Caboozeebo"? ;)
Now that sounds like it should be said with an Hungarian accent. ;-)
Bruce Chandler said:
Shouldn't that be "Caboozeebo"? ;)
Yall just want to make it reel herd to speel and make it all cornfoozing.... :)

That may be why the Canadians call them “Vans”. “Crummy” works. Of course, so will “Patio” and “Shady Spot”.

I don’t care whatcha callit (that thing over there?), as long as it has AC and a fridge…:wink:

Ken??? It’ll have A/C, if ya open the windows and the breeze is just right… :slight_smile: and, it’ll have a portable Refrig… In modern days, it’s called a ““Cooler”” :slight_smile:

Personally, I like Gazeeboose :slight_smile:

I like Jon’s version…rolls of the tongue much easier than the Mexican or Hungarian versions. :slight_smile:
Andy, personally I think you should at least spring for the $100 bar fridge from Wallyworld, just to keep Ken happy. :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
Personally, I like Gazeeboose :)
Bingo :D Ralph