Large Scale Central

Battery operated g scale lionel penn flyer

does anyone have any experiance with this set . I run g scale DC power and bring my Locomotives and rolling stock inside . Was wanting something to run when I didn’t have time to get all the electric power outdoors . And will this run on aristo craft and LGB brass track.

Mark,
No experience. But large scale Lionel will run on Aristo & LGB track.
Ralph

I have this Penn Flyer set, yes it runs fine on regular track but you might have some issues with turnouts and the RC range.

My layout was R1 w/ LGB R1 turnouts, I found a few things to consider: the bad:

1. turnouts: the loco tends to derail on the switches, this is due to its very light weight, I added small lead weights to the pilot and trailing wheel, this fixed it for the most part but the engine could definetly benifit from extra weight added.

2. RC range, for some reason Lionel has a set up the engine so that it requires a continuous signal from the controller for the engine to remain in motion. The problem is that the controller has a limited range on the RC signal, and the engine must receive this signal or it will slow and eventually stop if the engine roams too far. I dont know how far but its maybe , MAYBE 50 - 100 feet at best, and tunnels and objects does affect signal reception.

3. Couplers, these are only operational with other Lionel large scale item, no other coupler is compatable, you might be able to change to hooks or something else, I was going to but ended up dismantling the R1 layout and never did this.

4. Wheel sqweek, you need to add some plastic compatable oil to the axles of each car

the Good:

Sound is very good for such a cheepie set, whistle and bell are seperate buttons and sound great. chuff is sorta-synchro’d to the speed. overall not bad at all.

Its not a bad looking set, I like the caboose paint colors and the engine is attractive enough, if you dont look toooo hard at it :wink:

If you havent bought a set yet, I still have mine, still in the box, I got it for $40 and will sell it for same + shipping. If your interested send me a e-mail/PM.

thanks for the reply .I’m in the process of rebuilding my garden railroad . And use DC power haven’t got to the battery power and remote control yet . and was just wanting something to run when I have to bring in the string .

This has plastic wheels and battery power, so track power, or for that matter any power is unneccesary, you could run other track powered trains independantly of this. Let me know of you want mine.