Large Scale Central

LGB Mogul #23192 Analog vs LGB Mogul #22182 Digital, doubleheadi

Has anyone ever doubleheaded an LGB Analog & Digital Mogul? First, I have an Analog system, & here is what happened…
I ran the digital engine in the front as the analog engine has the plow & the coupler in the front. When I did this, the analog engine rode
up the rear coupler, {I use euro couplers}, of the digital mogul. Since both engines have the same motor, is the answer the weight
of the analog engine vs the weight of the digital engine. I haven’t weighed the engines, however the analog mogul seems heavier when
you lift it? I have run two analog moguls together before & both pulled the same, & seemed to be in sync.

Thanks,
Ed Engle

The digital mogul uses more voltage to start up and runs at a slower speed, hence the analog one was literally pushing it.

I’ve run into the same problem; you can install a Kadee coupler on the front of the digital loco and run the analog one in front, which has many issues of its own (especially since you’re using hook and loop couplers), or you can do what I do and just not run them together.

Sorry to not be of some sort of help…

Yep, as Robbie pointed out, the motor on the digital version uses more voltage to start moving.

The digital mogul has a voltage regulator that limits the motor from operating until around 5 volts. The analog mogul has some voltage regulation (mainly for the smoke unit and bulbs) but the motor starts right up with little voltage from the power pack.

As far as I know, the digital mogul 5 volt restriction was done so the smoke unit works better at slow speeds. If you use the smoke units, you might have noticed the analog takes longer to get smoking. But the digital mogul smokes well soon after it starts moving.

So unfortunately there is really no good way to run the two as a double header (as is). And actually it could be damaging to their gears.

The “as is” I mention means it isn’t easy to run them together right out of the box and with conventional track power. You could run them with DCC speed matching, but I doubt this is an option you’re looking into.

Thank you gentlemen for the information. In the future, possibly the 23192 analog mogul can be changed over to digital, then the 23192 would have the
same 5 volt restriction? This be the case, they could operate as double header?
Thanks much.
Ed Engle

Sorry to revive this old thread.

Does anyone know the stall current of Ed’s LGB analog mogul?

I have a fix, but I need to know the stall current to spec the parts.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik