Large Scale Central

Changing Scales & A New Layout

Hi All
Thought I would introduce myself, my name is Graham, and I live in Yorkshire, England. I am just giving up Fn3 and moving back into On30 - where I used to model

I am currently drawing out a fairly simple layout about 11ft x 10ft, it will be an end to end Logging Layout, with a sawmill at one end and a Log Spar at the other,simple end to end, with plenty of shunting for me to play and enjoy
The locos etc will all or mostly be Bachmann On30, with Shays, Climax, Lokeys,Geese etc been the norm.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get a set of plans, to build a Sawmill, something that will fit into a 10ft x 2ft wide area, think that should be big enough

So - its nice to be here again, look forward to chatting with you all
Graham

Graham, welcome back. The Lumber Industry is well documented on the net. There is a book that was recommended to me many years ago called “Steam in the Woods” that would give lots of examples and of course any search on geared engines should get you pointed in the right direction. Recent issues of the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette has had a lot of lumber themes. It sounds like you wnat to build a big lumber mill, so all machinerey may be inside and out of view, have you searched on the Cass Railroad.

Hi Ric
Thanks for the reply.
I do have the book Steam In the Woods, and it is a good one, I also get NG&SLG and also the Narrow Guage Annuals - which I think are the best.
Just been looking in Finescale Railroader , Logging, Mining & Industrial -2003 and on page66 onwards theres quite a nice layout, which would do me admirably. The mill scene is about 10ft - about what Im looking for.
Ive also just got a forward from a mate to look at www.gardentexture.com - evidently a good place for plans.

Just also picked up 10,000 - 7 1/2" Coffee stirrers for £32 - that works out at .0031p per stick.

Also today gonna add to my loco stock by collecting a Bachmann Climax that I have on order, complete with sound etc - should be an excellent loco, looking forward to getting one of their Shays again next.

Ive already built my baseboards, got the DCC, a Lenz 100 system, plus some add ons

Looking forward to getting going - not a very busy site is it ?
cheers
Graham

Hi Graham,
The coffee stirrers are a good investment. They have saved me a bunch of cash.
Scale lumber gets expensive.

As for the site, it can be pretty busy at times. Depends on the topic at hand. There are
just not a lot of people running On30 yet.

Myself, I like all kinds of trains. Please keep us posted on your progress. Pictures would be nice :slight_smile:
Ralph

Hi Graham,

The guys over here are doing top notch On30 work - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/default.asp

-Brian

Yo Graham - I live down on the Cambs/Northantz border, and I’m looking to get into 0n30 in a small way - just to give me a layout to run when our club goes visiting - about six times a year.

I’m into Fn3 and 16mm live steam - Shays and Garratts - as well as 1/3rd scale live steam and diesel, but as Ralph notes - this is primarily a 45mm gauge site, no matter what you run on it.

Stick around though - there is a LOT of ‘border-crossing’ expertise here that will help you. Try and get a copy of ‘Rails in the mother-lode’ too, a treasure-chest full of pix for you!!

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org