Large Scale Central

First Freight Siding on the Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway

If you’ve been following my long running expansion thread, you might have noticed that I have created a modern team track at the end of the expansion track. Around here, they don’t have team tracks any more, but Trans-Load facilities are common. In the case of the CVSRy’s facility, it was not designed to handle any one specific commodity, but rather any commodity that needs to be transferred to or from road trucks. It may even be possible to transfer from one car to another using the 90 degree track on the diamond. So here is the CVSRy’s Walk Landing Trans-Load Facility, waiting for the track crew to complete the siding and bring the facility on-line… [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Walk-Landing-01-1200.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]Just need that siding connected - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Walk-Landing-02-1200.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]Looking back toward Walk Junction - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/Walk-Landing-03-1200.jpg]

[/url][color=blue]End-of-Track - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] The docks are left-over concrete from the pad pours on my recent expansion. I usually make something with the left-overs rather than just a pile. The ramp sides are small left-over bits of concrete from various sidewalk and wall pointing projects over the years. The moss was already growing nearby and transplanted nicely about a month ago. I have some other, more fern-like moss growing in another location that I want to try and move to this area as well. The first revenue car is scheduled for Saturday, so long as the track crew hold up their end of the bargain :smiley:

Me thinks that’s a good place for a 2-holer!! Jon It’s coming along nicely. Sean

Jon,

Good deal. Ops are fun.

In case you might want to doll it up a bit with a simple bit of detailing…

The WP in Oakland, Calif. had a siding that crossed the mainline tracks as they entered 3rd Street. There were a pair of swinging gates that were manually operated by the switching crews that were left across the siding track normally. When being switched the gates were swung open to allow access and block the mainline tracks. The mainline trains went very slow here as the tracks from this point on were down the center of the street sharing it with auto traffic.

Neat idea Richard.

Switching this facility will be interesting. The siding is facing-point to an arriving train, so the train will take the first switch, traverse the Wye, going past the facility through the diamond, then backing down the siding after completely turning on the Wye. If there are cars to swap out, it will be a long move from the main-line switch to the dock for the pick up, then some switching on the main, then back down the long siding again if there is a drop. Should take 10 or 15 minutes to swap a single car.

The requirement to switch using the Wye actually puts me down by one simulated industry. I used to break up the leg that goes through the diamond with a brick, and call either end of it an industry. But that’s OK, I’d rather have industries that look like something than simply a place-holder sing to drop cars at.

Come fall, I hope to get some track put in at the other switch. It too will become a temporary industry siding until I finish the loop.

I’m also thinking of adding some type of oil terminal on this same siding between the main and the diamond. I have three nice concrete cylinders that could easily pass for tall storage tanks with a little paint and a few details. I’m thinking Yoigi’s hardware cloth fences and ladders.

looks good, Jon…

Jon,

I paid more attention to the lead on your industrial siding this morning. The actual siding length is long enough to store a number of cars with maybe only one or two across the mainline at the platform. This would allow a number of switching moves to eventually get all cars to the platform and extended ops in the area. Plus maybe additional storage for other local industries. Great potential!

Good thought Ric. The capacity of the entire facility could be 5-6 cars with only 1-2 at the dock. A local job may have to mess around quite a bit to get an empty out of the dock and stage a new waiting car. It gets even funkier if there is a new Hot car that must get to the dock mixed in with teh staged cars :smiley:

This, of course will change some if I get the oil terminal built on the same siding between the switch and the diamond. Makes it even more difficult to switch the dock. My thoughts for the oil terminal are lading toward a liquid re-packager. We have one here that gets tanks of vegetable oil, repackages into retail containers that leave by truck. No reason they couldn’t leave by rail from via a dock loaded box car. Only problem with that scenario is I need more than just tanks and a road.

BTW. The dock area is just over 36 inches. Plenty of room for two of my 1:24 cars, but too tight for two of the 1:20 cars I’m afraid.

The track crew did a great job, finishing ahead of schedule. The first train to Walk Landing Trans-Load is a MOW Track inspection run. The switches, track and diamond passed inspection. [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-01-1200.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-01-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Sitches OK - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-02-1200.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-02-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Track, Diamond & Dock Clearance OK - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] The first revenue car is scheduled for the Photo Freight to followed shortly thereafter… [url=lsc.cvsry.com/SummerRun-08-1200.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/SummerRun-08-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]First two revenue cars spotted - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/SummerRun-09-1200.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/SummerRun-09-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Train pulls away - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] See the Summer Fun thread in the General Forum for more pictures of the Photo Freight run.

Brought the Fn3 train out today to check clearances and the siding lentght… [url=lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-03-1200.jpg]

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/WalkLanding-03-720.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Fn3 Clearance check OK - FF: Click to Enlarge - IE: Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] The siding is too short for two long cars, but I squeezed one 2-bay and a box or other long car in.

Very cool! Thanks Jon.