Large Scale Central

Hon3

does hon3 run on nscale track. can you chage the scale on ho trains that i own.i am looking for a scale to build a small ng rr

Hey John -

I can’t answer you question but just anted to say Hi - Good to see you posting. Are things with you a little better now, I hope ?

I don’t get on chat much anymore, so I don’t know if you’ve been around. I still remember laughing at your stories in the hospitality room at York 3 years ago.

HOn3 does not run on N scale track. HOn30 (2 1/2 feet between rails) does. Peco, among others, has a nice line of HOn3 track and switches.

Steve Weidner said:
HOn3 does not run on N scale track. HOn30 (2 1/2 feet between rails) does. Peco, among others, has a nice line of HOn3 track and switches.
H0n3 track gauge is 10.5mm, H0n30 track gauge is 9mm (same as N gauge). Peco don't make any H0n3 track, they used to make H0n30 track (called "crazy track") but I think they have discontinued that line.

Why don’t you call H0n30 H0n2½.
That way all confuson is avoided with H0n3.

As another guy who used to do HOn30 for many years, its been called HOn30 over here in the US as long as I can remember. I guess HOn2-1/2 simply took up too much space and was more difficult to type on old style typewriters. The first published Hon30 layout I can remember, Dave Frary’s “Saga of the Elk River Lines” in RMC back in 1970 and he coined HOn30 and its stuck since then. In Europe its commonly known as HOe, just to add more confusion to the mix :wink:

I’m not into the smaller scales anymore, but I just received my comp copy of Carstens HOn3 Annual. I got comped because they used one of my EBT photos in an article by Russ Norris on EBT Structures. It’s a nice book and I’m sure many of the techniques can be used in any scale. We’re taking our only vacation this year over the 3-day weekend - just planning to veg in a campground. Pursuing the annual is on my to-do list for the weekend.

Jon Radder said:
I got comped because they used one of my EBT photos in an article by Russ Norris on EBT Structures.
Congratulations, Jon. Now quit teasing us and let's see the photo they used ;) Ralph

It was this building. Maybe not this exact picture…

(http://ebt.cvsry.com/EBT/101203-051.JPG)