Large Scale Central

Back to my trains

It has been a couple years since my layout got any attention but it’s time.
I have run my layout with battery/rc but I have had too many difficulties with it. I’m switching to electric but I
have limited vision and a large layout.
The layout is approximately 50x120-feet. I’m starting with an MRC Train Power 6200 but I assume it will have to be block powered. But I need walk around control so I can see it since I’m legally blind. What is the best way to get both worlds? Do I need to install switches beside the tracks for each block?
Summer has arrived on the California desert

Hi Doug-

Good to see you posting again.

What kind of difficulties with Battery/RC would put you off to the point of dealing with track wiring and power issues ?

If you want to run multiple trains on a track powered system, or park locos on sidings while running a different one on the main, you have no choice other than some sort of block control. I don’t know of any way to do that without using some type of mechanical switch.

My railroad still supports track power and is divided into blocks. Some of the dead-end areas like one tail of my wye, is not home-run wired back to the power supply. I simply have a power disconnect switch that is fed from the track in the previous block. This is somewhat limiting as I can’t have the tail powered without the main leading to it being powered. I’ve also taken some short-cuts by feeding two blocks from either side of an insulated rail clamp and housing the switches in a common enclosure.

I use the plastic outdoor electrical boxes mounted on pvc conduit. The conduit only runs into the ground where it’s anchored in concrete. The wire is direct burial low-voltage garden light wire and is just buried in the ballast trench. For switches I use heavy duty toggles from Radio Shack. I mount them to a blank switch plate and cut the handles to a stub so the outdoor switch box cover will close.

If you still have the hardware for R/C I’d give careful thought to abandoning it over track power.

Hi Jon
I got discouraged with the battery/rc because the wiring on my Hartland railbus was very fine. The wiring on the LGB Mogul was fine but the plug between the engine and wood car took one tiny tug before the engine quit working. I spent $40 on “repairs” only to get home and find only one motor block was working and that will not move the railbus. I have no idea how to get that plug between the Mogul and wood car apart and fixed. My poor eyesight just won’t allow me to work on these projects.

I can certainly understand that. My eyesight isn’t that bad, but tri-focal lenses make working at odd angles almost impossible for me. Even when in my focal range, I have a heck of a time with small plugs on tenders and MU diesels. What you need is some self-contained motive power :slight_smile: :smiley: Or a young friend with electronics skills :smiley: :smiley:

Old eyes guys…

Get yourself a variety (of diopters, or strengths) of cheap single power reading glasses at your local Stuff-Mart. Need to get closer, choose a stronger pair…($ 8- $ 10 ea.)

Another idea (for your bench), get a large, lit, swing arm magnifying glass …

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Fluorescent-Magnifier-Lamp/dp/B0002V2F7S/ref=pd_sbs_op_6

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Hi Joe
My eyes are beyond glasses and I got one of those magnifies and they are good but these eyes are almost beyond the magnifier.