Forums » Motive Power

List of newest posts

    • July 7, 2017 8:31 AM EDT
    • another 5.5" of the long hood, and 1 side of the middle section are done

       

      my overnight print piece

      3.5 major body pieces left for the long hood

      after the main body pieces, the next largest pieces would be the fuel tank, then the smaller detail like vents and roof details can go on, i'd reckon this to be done and ready for paint Monday if not sooner

    • July 7, 2017 6:20 AM EDT
    • This engine is going to be a lonnng build!

    • July 6, 2017 2:54 PM EDT
    • Test print of a long hood section to double check dimensions before starting the hood sections

      first long hood section is a short one

      and now on the frame

      The next section should fit between the first section and the test print piece

       

    • July 6, 2017 12:23 PM EDT
    • I'm only making 1 a and 1 b for myself at 35.59" an aba set would be overkill for my point to point layout, lol

    • July 6, 2017 10:16 AM EDT
    • Are you going to print all 3 of the 855s?  Be cool to see the B version too.

       

      Chris

    • July 6, 2017 9:34 AM EDT
    • Plenty of room for sound and batteries....and a small family...

    • July 6, 2017 9:23 AM EDT
    • and so it begins, the largesdt ALCO diesel ever built, 35.59" in length when completed

      shes gonna be a big one

      and it starts with a small number board piece

      the motor block span bolster

      the front pilot

      the nose and battery boxes

      the only problem with black plastic, photos are hard to see any details :(

      the cab was 5 hours on the printer

      the cab roof

      gluing on the number board and roof cap

      rough sanded the nose and glued it to the cab

      first frame section printed

      only 4 more frame sections to go

      second frame section done, catching up to the Mac in the background, tape measure is at 35.5"

      didn't take long to extend longer then the Mac

      the 2 beast together, the Baldwin DR 6-4-2000 is much closer to the length of the ALCO C855 then the Mac

      Currently reprint a longer pilot bolster piece, then the body sections can be done, the body sections will drop in over the frame

       

       

       

       

    • June 30, 2017 10:19 PM EDT
    • I plan on making a video on Tuesday running on the layout, if it's not pouring like the past couple days/months, lol

      Here's a quick video of the build with more pictures of the completed project

    • June 30, 2017 10:14 PM EDT
    • That engine looks great and the colour scheme is cool. 

      I think you need to make a video of those engines this weekend and post it here for Independence day.

    • June 30, 2017 7:50 PM EDT
    • Fan housing (fan was on printer when photo was taken)

      time to start drawing up some uboats so this one can be replaced

       

       

    • June 30, 2017 10:23 AM EDT
    • got the rest of the stanchions on, will start the handrails next, the last section of the long hood still needs to dry before decals can go on

      Just designed the fan and it's housing, need to wait for a printer to open up though as i'm already back onto another project, a Bombardier CR 4000

      1/2 done, 6 more sections for the second half

    • June 29, 2017 10:35 PM EDT
    • Finally got the dynamic brake box printed, has paint on it now but not in the pic

      started stanchions

      505 is almost done, need to make a list of what needs to be done tomorrow and wrap these up

      last piece of the long hood is printed, still needs time in the paint shop

       

    • June 29, 2017 7:07 PM EDT
    • They look pretty good for someone who doesn't like painting. 

    • June 29, 2017 7:03 PM EDT
    • Looks nice, Mark...     

    • June 29, 2017 4:28 PM EDT
    • started taping off the engines

      starting to get some color

      i hate painting btw

      and some stripes

       

    • June 28, 2017 5:23 PM EDT
    • Dave, that's why I built the crane :)

      started a second RS-3m

      front pilot on the new one

       

    • June 27, 2017 4:31 PM EDT
    • I see that your crew used the gantry crane to set the hoods. Good thinking.

    • June 26, 2017 9:10 PM EDT
    • started with a basic frame

      pilots started

      basic frame together

      plow on the front is a separate piece

      Basic cab

      Battery boxes, the back 2 were the basic ones I've used previously, the front two are the newest design which includes a diamond plate design on the finished surface

      First attempt at the nose, it's a little narrow (by 3mm) will fix on the next print

      first long hood section done, needs a few tweaks, some of the louvers didn't print, and i'm thinking about making the dynamic break box removable to cut down on supports required to print that piece

      second long hood section done, had the same issue with louvers

      3rd section on the long hood, figured out the issue with louvers

      will print the last hood section overnight tonight

      because of the issue with the louvers I've decided to go ahead and put this one together and print a complete second engine, with a little more detailing, like the diamond plate on the walkways of the basic frame, pilots, and the raised long hood walkway. even thinking about an interior for this one

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • June 27, 2017 7:42 AM EDT
    • Impressive Marc to say the least!