Forums » Technical Modeling

List of newest posts

    • December 12, 2018 8:10 PM EST
    • Christmas?

    • December 12, 2018 6:48 PM EST
    • not to wait for what?

    • December 12, 2018 3:50 PM EST

      I decided not to wait.  Printing a case (top) for the Raspberry Pi.

    • December 1, 2018 12:45 AM EST
    • Actually 2.5" ssd drives are turning up in desktops, since there's no reason they are 3.5"...  I'm not even sure if you can buy a modern day SSD in 3.5 any more...


      I have a raid 5 array of 8 SSD drives for performance and cost savings... turns out up to 20 times faster than my 7200 rpm drive.


      But I have a specific need, it is a media server for photos, videos, music, so you want to "flip through" media quickly, especially since this is a server operating from my house to my mobile devices.. (Plex)



    • December 1, 2018 12:17 AM EST
    • I should have grouped the drive speed with the HDD info.

      It does have an old SATA drive!  I didn't pay a lot for it.  I don't think I could have built it myself for what I paid.

      An SSD in a blender...that would be fun to watch!

    • November 30, 2018 11:49 PM EST
    • Jim, I thought those were the specs of the new tower machine you purchased.  There is no such thing as a 7200RPM SSD.  I thought maybe they were slipping you an old SATA drive.

    • November 30, 2018 11:47 PM EST
    • Only way an SSD is 7200 rpm is if you drop it in a blender... 


      Interesting, the dram is 16x1, normally you want 2 sticks or more to enable dual channel mode in the dram.



    • November 30, 2018 11:20 PM EST
    • HDD/SSD: could be configuired with either one.

      HDD:  spinning disc drive (platter).

      SSD:  solid state drive no spinning disc.    There are also the "M2" that looks kind of like a stick of ram.

      2TB is drive capacity.  TB is Terabyte.

      3.5 refers to drive physical size.   A desktop or tower would have a 3.5" drive while a laptop would have a 2.5" drive.  

      I don't know if that still applies today.

      7200 RPM is the drive speed.  Some drives are 5400 RPM.


    • November 30, 2018 3:32 PM EST
    • HDD/SSD 2TB 7200RPM (3.5")?

    • November 30, 2018 2:29 PM EST
    • There is a lot in there.  Only two add on cards; video, and wifi.

      I learned that no matter how hard you try to keep things clean dust will find its way into a computer. 

      I try to remember to open them up at least a couple times a year to see what is going on.


    • November 30, 2018 1:44 PM EST
    • I find my fan can get clogged with dust least I know air is moving.. I was kind of poking you with a stick.. you had everything else in there.. 

    • November 30, 2018 1:24 PM EST
    • Sean,

      No.  It isn't overheating.


    • November 30, 2018 1:00 PM EST
    • Did you install a backup fan ?

    • November 30, 2018 12:46 PM EST
    • Graeme,

      Linux seems to work fine for me.  I tried the other Linux Mint flavors, but I like Cinnamon.  On my computer Win 10 boots faster that Linux, but I don't really care.


      I was looking at the HP laptops, but went with this one for the wife.

      She loves it, and that is all that matters.


      I found a deal on a new tower.

      I have already cut out the front of the case, and installed a sata mobile rack to have Linux mint 19, or win10 pro 64bit.

      I also cut out the stupid spring loaded door covering the DVD R/W.

      Also added a 4TB drive inside formatted ext4 for Linux. 

      I can't leave anything stock.  Should do anything I need to do.


      CPU Intel® CoreTM i7-8700 Processor 6 Cores 3.2-4.6 GHz 12M Cache
      Chipset Z370
      Motherboard MSI Brand Z370-A PRO
      CPU Cooler Proprietary Thermal Kit included
      VGA NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
      Memory (GB) 16GB DDR4 (16GB x 1)
      LAN 10/100/1000
      Wireless Communication Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 1x1 802.11ac (433 Mbps)
      Audio 7.1 Channel HD Audio
      Video Port 1 x HDMI-out, 1 x DisplayPorts, 1 x DVI-D
      I/O 1 x front Gen1 Type-C, 2 x front Gen 1 Type-A, 4 x rear Gen1, 2 front (1 with Super Charger 2) + 2 rear
      USB 1 x front Gen1 Type-C, 2 x front Gen 1 Type-A, 4 x rear Gen1, 2 front (1 with Super Charger 2) + 2 rear
      HDD/SSD 2TB 7200RPM (3.5")
      Power Supply 550W 80 Plus


    • November 21, 2018 3:19 PM EST
    • Hi John,

      all is fine ;-) I understood it the same way.


    • November 21, 2018 11:22 AM EST
    • Yes. Thats how I read it too. Thanks John and Gerd for the good idea's 



    • November 21, 2018 11:22 AM EST
    • Yes. Thats how I read it too. Thanks John and Gerd for the good idea's 



    • November 21, 2018 9:57 AM EST
    • Gerd, I wasn't suggesting that you use Del's service, I put it up for Jason who wanted what you have...

    • November 21, 2018 1:12 AM EST
    • Hi John,

      good link. Unfortunately, most of such effors are not available for me in Germany and shipping/tax steals a lot of budget when ordering in oversea.

      There are decal printing services and those for dry transfers available here as sell, but they are costy compared to the way i used. A few dollars for the sticker foil, the paper stencils are free of charge for me.


    • November 20, 2018 7:41 PM EST
    • Jason V. said:

      Gerd. Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I'd love to get ahold of some with Rio Grande Southern and Colorado Southern for 1:20.3.