Forums » Reviews

List of newest posts

    • January 20, 2020 7:42 PM EST
    • Humm this might be worth checking out as a replacement for the overly thick USAT vents that you can't see anything (oh that might be a good thing?).

    • January 20, 2020 6:53 PM EST
    • Hi everyone,


      I've been stalled on my SD40-2w build as I haven't been able to find a mesh suitable for the old style wire vents. I received a parcel today, and it's everything I was hoping for.


      *** Mesh for EMD vents ***


      The photo below shows the SD45 vent on the right to show how close the match is.





    • January 13, 2020 4:09 PM EST
    • on which item

    • January 13, 2020 3:09 PM EST
    • Great Bill, thanks, bookmarked the web site.


      It's been a while, what was the consensus as to scale?



    • January 13, 2020 10:18 AM EST
    • Greg and Jerry one of my friends got their cards


    • January 13, 2020 10:15 AM EST
    • No I can't just purchased just plain folk from her and all I know was what she told me, I'll reach out to some friends that were there and see if they have any info, Bill

    • January 13, 2020 10:10 AM EST
    • FWIW, I think those are the folks who showed up at the last 2 conventions and the ECLSTS as well

      They have pre-made and painted CO structures, very nicely done and reasonable prices.

      Now if I could just find their name...............



    • January 13, 2020 10:04 AM EST
    • No I can't I purchased some plain folk figures from them but didn't get their car, I'll check with a friend that was their also and see if he remembers, I just know what the lady told me. Bill

    • January 12, 2020 8:18 PM EST
    • can you share contact info for the guy selling the Colorado structures?



    • January 11, 2020 7:40 PM EST
    • Had a fun day with a fellow G scaler at the Deland Railfair, good display but probably be a disappointment to those up north but a good one for us down here in a small area, it is a 2 day even which is always good. Best news is Fl life steamers are moving it a fair grounds in Palm Coast which will be fun to attend, lots of good displays and various scale displays, lots of vendors, no steals in G scale but I got a very, very good deal on a Bachmann log skidder on a flat bed car with metal wheels. It was pretty much confirmed by a dealer who has the rights to build and sell Colorado, structures that the company is no longer apparently the owner has fallen ill, best for him an his family. Fun show if you have time worth attending, Bill  

    • April 15, 2019 2:44 AM EDT
    • I'll check it out, thanks Bill!

    • April 14, 2019 1:13 PM EDT
    • Eric try some of the conductive grease that Bachmann sells (and others) you can put it on with a brush, Bill

    • April 14, 2019 2:26 AM EDT
    • Frankly, I am just going to get some spares.  If there was a way to get a drop of solder onto the point where the spring tucks under the crimped edges, it eluded my limited soldering skill!

      I am glad this kicked off a bit of a discussion.  I learned quite a bit!



    • April 12, 2019 6:14 PM EDT
    • Not a competition Dave, it's interesting to figure this stuff out. I think the major issue is depending on a not too tightly crimped assembly that wants to pass power.


      My experience has been that this plating is not very thick and battery "juice" will kill it quickly too.


      If I got one, perhaps I would take a shot at soldering all the connections, although it might be just as easy as buying a spare:



    • April 12, 2019 5:38 PM EDT
    • Thanks Greg, and the nickle plating explains how Eric was able to solder to it. 

    • April 12, 2019 5:36 PM EDT
    • ok, My mistake.

    • April 12, 2019 3:57 PM EDT
    • If you look at the picture, you will see it's not tin, tin is not shiny and also subject to oxidation.


      I did some research, many battery holders specify the springs are 65C spring steel, nickel plated. So that seems to be the normal plating.


      Definitely not tin.. and since chrome plate is really normally copper, then nickel, then chrome, the nickel makes sense, cheaper and no need to add chrome (chrome on bumpers was added to slightly turn the color more bluish from the more yellowish nickel, the chrome plating is pretty thin, and the nickel shows through)



    • April 12, 2019 5:35 AM EDT
    • Cliff Jennings said:
      Greg Elmassian said:

      Unfortunately most of those components are chrome plated steel, just ripe for corrosion and moisture issues. Who hasn't had the springs rust on a battery powered unit?


      For sure, Greg. And I hope Piko's contacts are made of brass or SS, but maybe they aren't... Yet Eric was able to solder to them, right? Did that solder joint hold, Eric? If so, that would be... what, nickle-plated brass, Greg?

      Anyway Eric, if your holder's contacts are plated steel, and they continue having issues, maybe keep a few on hand as spares. At least they're cheap, and the 9v clips make them easy to swap out. 

      More like tin plated steel.

    • April 12, 2019 3:54 AM EDT
    • Interesting account of the ups and downs of garden railroading.

    • April 12, 2019 3:45 AM EDT
    • Gents,

      I was able to get a good solder joint to the female terminal, run the wire through the hold in the center of it, and make a not-so-good solder connection to the spring.   I used a really thin wire that gave way when I changed batteries, but the repair served its purpose.


      As for the terminal-spring junction, I saw no visible damage or discoloration.  Corrosion is an issue here, which is why we store batteries outside their devices.  I suspect that this particular one just wasn't crimped right.  I'll try jiggering the spring and see if that works.   In the meantime, Cliff, it is great to know this is not a custom part!  


      - Eric